Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Satire

Okay let me begin by saying I LOVE Hitchiker's guide to the galaxy. It was hard for me to get through the book because it was so close to the movie's that I knew what was going to happen. I probably should have moved on to the other books but I was curious if the first one was any different from the movie, because sometimes that's fun when they leave out stuff in the movies and you understand things more during you're reading of the book. But everything was pretty straight forward. I guess that's the point of a Satire in the first place.
Anyway I just love this, I think it's so creative and funny. I have never before this seen a science fiction comedy. I'm sure there are more out there but this one is the first that I have been subjected to. I've seen both the British and the American versions. I remember watching the British one when I was younger and thinking...what the heck is going on? Because it's very fast pace and not really a child's humor. I just remember the technology of the guide sticking out in my mind. When I saw the American remake a few years ago I was cracking up. Like I said I had never really seen a science fiction comedy. Usually science fiction novels are so serious, such as being abandoned on a planet, abudcted by aliens, star trek or star wars ( a few jokes are there but not enough to be make a comedy ). I'll admit very old science fiction movies can maybe now be under the comedy category but I'm sure that wasn't the directors original goal haha.
I also really like how colorful it is with it's characters. It's not like five guys and a girl on a ship an their just a funny crew that make you laugh in whatever wacky science fiction situation they find themselves in ( like a futuristic "That 70's show" ) It had so many well developed and completely different characters. A manic depressive robot, the ruler of the Universe with a split personality.
I think what was the most clever development was the Vogons. The bad guy in most novels and movies are always some scary monster who wants to blow stuff up or eat things or use us for experiments. These were like average business men, I think more around a government official type, making way for a Universal highway. What a hilarious comparison to the working Englishman. Especially coming from a writer who obviously enjoys a sense of humor. There's usually a strong stereotype of British men being boring and all about work, and although I've never been to that part of the world and can't vouche, from knowing the stereotype I see the Vogon's as just hilarious. Especially when the guide goes on a long schpeal about how they need papers signed, filed, sent back, recieved and blah blah and all that just to save their grandmother from being eaten. Thats definately a government official if I've ever seen one.
The main character was likable, I think it was a good idea that the writer did not make him a complicated character because there was so many other things to focus on it would of made me not like him because he would be taking away from the stuff I wanted to read about. He was just basically constantly confused, but pretty okay with everything.
Now I didn't get to the end of the book but as I said I did see the movie and my all time favorite part is the ending, with the planet builders. It's funny how they made the Universe like some kind of running government, with builders and rich society and a President. They just happened to have an Earth back up, how perfect. And I'm not sure how visual the book is with this part but the movie was just gorgeous it really was such a cool and original idea.
I will read the rest of the series for sure this summer. I had no idea there was more, I thought it was just the one, especially because it wraps up so nicely at the end. Everythings back to normal for the most part. But I think this was a good note to end the summer on. Made me leave smiling.

No comments:

Post a Comment