Monday, April 19, 2010

Diverse Position

I had some time on the weekend and was able to sit down and get through half of Lilith's Brood. I really liked the beginning. It wasn't that descriptive and got straight to the point of answering most of my questions.
This story of aliens is so completely different from anything I've ever seen or read, that it held my interest for hours. Usually we view aliens as some beasts trying to destroy the Earth for now real reason rather then the urge of mass destruction, Big eyed creatures that want to do awful experiments on our bodies for who knows what, or some weird funny aliens in comedies such as Across the Universe. But these were like....a kind sort of alien. They wanted to help and restore and heal which was really neat to see. Reading about aliens with a need to make things grow and evolve. That's a really original concept I feel. I really can not think of a single alien breed I've seen or read about that's like that.
I guess "diverse positions" is a perfect way to describe this week, because I couldn't figure out if I agreed or didn't agree with half of the stuff. Part of me was like, wow these aliens saved us all that's amazing. Just to understand and have a little bit of us is not much of a price to pay, most alien stories describe much worse. At the same time though I completely felt for Liliths anger about the whole situation. Who wouldn't?
Part of me agreed with the way the aliens handled things. I mean yeah if the Earth was destroyed and people were then placed together they would probably kill each other, and the Ooli claimed they didn't know how to group us properly so it was safer to keep us confined and alone. On the other hand though there's nothing that could drive someone crazier then seclusion. But then again maybe being stuck with the same few people would drive you just as mad if not more. Prime example, Real World. There's so many factors with how complicated people are that I suppose it's impossible to predict the outcome.
The cancer thing is interesting. They didn't get into it too much where I'm at, but Im guessing how cancer can grow and manipulate people's genes, is what makes it so fascinating and useful to them. That's a nice little twist because I've never heard cancer be described as a "beautiful thing" before.

The book kind of slowed down for now. The girl is learning their language and slowly growing but it's less direct then the beginning chapters and I feel like it''s going in circles a little bit. I'm one of those people that likes the happy ending type of stories so when she met the guy and then was practically raped and beaten to death it made me lose interest a little. I was hoping they'd fall in love or some kind of good would come out of it. They would find comfort in each other, or I don't know, something. I suppose what happened is more realistic, but that's why I like to read fantasy haha. I stopped reading after that. I'll finish it though. I liked the character and want to see her end up happy, hopefully somehow.

No comments:

Post a Comment