Thursday, April 1, 2010

Equal Rites

I usually always like the feminist type of books, such as this one. I liked the whole Wizard vs Witch, male vs female comparison. It reminds me of how in the old days they didn't want women to be educated, the same way they won't accept her to be an educated Wizard in their world. I also like the randomness of some things, such as how they live on pizza on elephants on a turtle in the stars or whatever it was haha. I like how the character is a little quirky and a little different and how she wants to change Discworld, and basically breaks the laws of physics to do so.

I think my favorite part of the book ( for how far I got ) was her experience in the library. How she bribed her way in there, how she longed to read and thought she could learn the way you learn how to dress yourself or cook. But the fun of it is that she didn't know what she was doing and that she was doing any magic at all. And I just liked her desire to learn, I can relate to that desire. My highschool didn't have much to offer so when I came here to Ringling I wanted to learn as much as I could and grow. Overall to me, the characters were likable, and the world feels established in its own sense, and even more so fun and inventive. The funny parts were actually funny and even the suspenseful parts contained more suspense because I actually cared about who I was reading about.

I also liked the idea that she accidentally became a Wizard. It's so old fashioned that men want to have sons to pass their abilities and name onto ( especially in Asian culture ) and I like that story line where the daughter needs to prove she can be just as good. Kind of like Mulan. Once again relating to Asian culture I suppose. Even though the father isn't around to see it we as the readers know that so it still is appealing to me.

I keep hearing that the second and third book ( especially the third ) are even more likeable and fun then the first so that inspires me to go find them and read them as well ( soon as I've completely finished this one ). Apparentally the character Granny Weatherwax changes alot so I'm curious to find out how.

No comments:

Post a Comment