Monday, February 22, 2010

The Hobbit

This was one of those books I always knew about and always wanted to get the chance to read but never got around to it. Honestly I didnt get past the third chapter it has been a rough few weeks for PrePro. The first chapter was just kind of describing the life of a hobbit which I suppose was needed when this book was first published but now that I've seen Lord of the Rings and know the basics of a Hobbit from other Fantasy movies and stories, I found it kind of boring. It picked up a little when they started to go into the myth of the Ring and the Hobbits mission, because I'll admit that's something I never really understood that well in the movies. I feel like they brushed over it more then the book. It may just be my bad memory though it's been a while since I watched the first Lord of the Rings.
What I really like about this though which is what I think makes the difference between a fantasy novel that's a best seller and one that doesn't go far; When the author makes an entirely new world and commits to it's rules completely. There are diferent races with their own rules and laws and languages and even if they are things we already have heard about and seen in different fantasy stories it's getting in deph with the things like that which make us more interested. We want to know how creatures like that would live. How they would function with each other. How we can relate, if at all to them.
I do like the books playfulness, and it's a little humorous at times. I really didn't get far enough into it to be able to judge the characters very much I probably know more about them from the movies. It's not too hard of a read and I think if i found the time I would sit down and commit to it. But as before it continues to slip through my schedule so I'm hoping to get around to atleast finishing the first one.

No comments:

Post a Comment